Music Analysis #1 : Conversations in the Dark-John Legend

Conversations in the Dark-John Legend

I absolutely adore this song in so many ways. I was first introduced to the song when my SO and I were on a cruise in Cali. The song had just come out and I didn't know a thing about it but my SO played it for me and I found that to be the sweetest thing. Conversations in the Dark was written by John Legend, Gregg Wattenberg, Jesse Fink, Kellen Pomeranz, and Chance Pena. It was produced by Gregg Wattenberg and Pom Pom. 

 Conversations in the Dark by John Legend 2020, USA.




My thoughts

The lyrics in the song is what do it for me. They are so personal for me with my relationship. To have a love like this is so special and really it's everything. Also another aspect is what John Legend chooses for the music video, home videos of couples. That's so authentic. I love the piano in the song and how soft the melody is. How the song is pieced together is beautiful and I still cry sometimes while listening to the song. It is just that special to me.

Lyrics

The lyrics in this song are personal, delicate, and vulnerable. Jordan Tilchen with MTV states, "Lyrically, the track sounds a lot like vows written by a groom to his bride." The chorus is really where I believe that statement to be true. 

[Chorus]
I won't ever try to change you, change you
I will always want the same you, same you
Swear on everything I pray to
That I won't break your heart
I'll be there when you get lonely, lonely
Keep the secrets that you told me, told me
And your love is all you owe me
And I won't break your heart

Full lyrics-click here

The chorus is catchy and in a way he is reassuring his wife his love. The verses are as well special. In the first verse he talks about them staying up late, watching movies they have already seen. Though this is what they are doing you get the sense that it is more than just that. That there is a deeper connection.

Rhythm

In the rhythm of this song there is a variety of silence. The song starts off with just guitar, and then he goes into singing. Later in the song piano is added along with back up vocals and percussion. There is also parts where it's silent from instruments and John, where the back up singers are singing. It intensifies the song and gives me chills. 

Dynamics and Vocals

Dynamics play a huge role in this song. I love the way John goes from singing forte to piano. I also love how restrained he sings in the beginning of the song and the further he gets into the song he adds more passion into his singing. According to The Musical Hype, "“Conversations in the Dark” shines thanks to rich vocals, relatable songwriting, and production fusing pop and ‘grown folks’ R&B respectfully." 

Sources:

The Musical Hype. “John Legend, Conversations in the Dark: Track Review 🎵.” The Musical Hype, 11 Jan. 2020, www.themusicalhype.com/john-legend-conversations-in-the-dark-track-review/.





Comments

  1. This song is one of my absolute favorites lately. John legend is not only an amazing artist, but also a FANTASTIC human! Similar to you, the lyrics are my favorite part of this song, and the amazing instrumental background is just an added bonus. I could tell in your writing that you really related to this song on a deep personal level, and it made your writing very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jewel,
    John Legend! Who doesn’t love this guy?? I swear he has some of the best love songs; “Stay with You,” “All of me,” and this one – which I have never heard before! I see it’s pretty new, though, January 2020. Every element of his music is so soothing to me – lyrics, vocals, melody, and instrumentation; I love the piano. My first thought when listening to this song, was how soulful he sounds, and then picks up, which is one of the first things I read about this song in the article, https://www.themusicalhype.com/john-legend-conversations-in-the-dark-track-review/. They added, “As the song progresses and percolates, he offers more oomph and grit. Each chorus adds more of that Legendary bite, particularly as he incorporates those ripe, ad-libs.”

    In the short time I have known what a vibrato is, I for some reason keep associating it with female singers, but I noticed it in this song and I just love it. It is wild how something so “simple” can add so much to a song.
    All in all, you did a great job on this and I love your song choice – John Legend is top notch! Not to mention, that music video is beautiful!
    Great job,
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Music Analysis #2: Freakin' out on the Interstate-Briston Maroney

My intro