Musical Trip-Tlingit Music

 Tlingit Music

Being Tlingit myself, I thought it would be neat to learn more about my culture and try to help you learn a little about my culture as well. Tlingit music really came about for celebrating, potlucks, gatherings, and ceremonies. Some songs were also made to teach life lessons.

First song



The Hook Song is so dear to my heart. I grew up singing this song with my dance group, Heeinya Khwaan. I also grew up watching my mom perform this song at every potluck, celebration, ceremony, and gathering. My mom was one of the few people my Auntie Clara Peratrovich taught to dance to this song she made. As you hear Ed Littlefield sing this song, you are able to hear how he uses the back of his throat to annunciate some of the words. You also hear in the song, a drum. Those two things made Tlingit music quite unique. 

Here is a link of a traditional Tlingit drum:
Drums are typically made of deerskin hide, wood, and deerskin hide string. The deerskin hide is stretched over wood that is bent into a circle and then tied in the back with the deerskin hide string according to Ed Littlefield during his Ted Talk. The stick to bang the drum is also made of hide and wood. I have made a drum but don't have a picture of it.

Tlingit instruments

So the main two instruments used in Tlingit music are drums and rattles. One of the drums I show you above in a hyperlink, and talk about it above. As well as drums that are made out of deerskin hide like I talk about above, another drum is made out of cedar and its a like a huge open box. Rattles are typically made out of seashells or deer toenails hanging from wood. Also according to the American Museum of Natural History, "A simple wooden whistle was the only other musical instrument of the Tlingit." That I did not know about until reading the American Museum of Natural History, on Tlingit Instruments.

Second Song/Introductory to Tlingit Music



I know this is a longer video but I wanted to include it because in Ed Littlefield's Ted Talk gives a great introductory to Tlingit Music. I will give a summary of this video. In the beginning he introduces himself properly in Tlingit which is important. When Tlingit dance groups perform, the leader of the dance group introduces himself and his dance group before performing. 

Ted Talk 5 min in-Story and Song




Back to the video, in this Ted Talk, Ed gives great examples that songs tell stories and so about 5 minutes in is the first song and this is the song I'd like for you to listen to. 5 minutes into this Ted Talk, Ed introduces a song that was made and passed through generations of generations and it was of the French ships showing up to Lityua Bay about 200 years ago and how frightened the Tlingit people were. This song was recorded by the National Park Service in roughly the 1960s. In the song you are able to tell that the Tlingit people singing were scared and sad by the tone of which they are singing. You are able to again hear them annunciate the words with the back of their throats. You can also hear the drumming in the background of the song as well. The drum is barely being drummed which gives off the seriousness of how they were scared. I am not sure of the song name, who wrote it, or who is singing it in the video.

Ted Talk 11 minutes in-Another story & song



The other song in the video is 11 minutes into the video and is Aadóo Séek' Sáwé created by Charlie Joseph but sang by Ed Littlefield for the first version. USA, and the date is unknown. The second version by Reuel Lubag, Ed Littlefield, Christian Fabian. The drumming is more upbeat in this song and the tone of voice is as well. Really Tlingit music is for telling a story, and the Tlingit language is known for deep throat sounds which you can hear in all of these songs, and the drumming. I feel myself when listening to these songs and the beat of the drumming. They all give me great joy. I'm thankful for my culture.

Heres a photo of my mom and I dancing at Celebration


The photo may be a tad blurry, and I'm sorry about that. But in the photo you can see the halibut hook hanging from her wrist, so that she has it to perform, The Hook Song.

Here is a photo of my mom performing The Hook Song



Works Cited:







Comments

  1. Hi Jewel,
    What a beautiful presentation you did for Tlingit songs! I love the regalia of your mom’s and yours! Having lived in Sitka for over 8 years, I got lots of exposure to Tlingit culture and music. In fact, I met Ed Littlefield while working in Sitka School District for some cultural program. I saw his TED talk was recorded during Sitka Fine Arts Camp, which is one of the major summer events in Sitka. I worked with one of the granddaughters of Charlie Joseph when working at the Culture Department in the school district. I learned some Tlingit language, songs, and dance, and I also made some Tlingit art, including weaving and making drums and dancing pedals. I enjoyed drawing form line eagle and raven, too. The local food is amazing, especially herring eggs and smoke salmon.

    As you shared in your post, each song represents a story. I think Tlingit songs keep a steady beat most of the time, but they do change in dynamics, especially when singing by groups. Some songs have a leading vocalist and joined by group singers and dancers. I love the background vocal accompaniment by strong voices, especially male’s voice when they sing and dance with strong and steady beats. Your culture is unique and beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Music Analysis #2: Freakin' out on the Interstate-Briston Maroney

My intro

Music Analysis #1 : Conversations in the Dark-John Legend