Music Analysis #2: Freakin' out on the Interstate-Briston Maroney

 Freakin' out on the Interstate-Briston Maroney

I first came across this song this past summer. I was immediately drawn into the chords of the song and the chill vibes it gave. The lyrics have so much depth behind them and that also drew me into loving it so much. I am a sucker for sad music, even when I am not sad at all. I've been through a lot in life though I am young, so I feel understanding/empathic often towards others. I can appreciate sad music though I'm not sad because of being able to relate/understand. Freakin' out on the Interstate is sung by Briston Maroney, and he wrote the song as well. 


My thoughts

I love indie rock and I think he expresses himself so well through his singing, the chords of this song, and the meaning behind the lyrics. I love to listen to this song and just vibe to it. It was definitely my go to song to play while boating the Unalakleet river this past summer.

Lyrics

In the lyrics you can tell that there is great struggle and he opens the song with:

"I'm freakin' out on the interstate
Rolling down the windows, baby, I don't hear a thing you say"

Which sets the tone right away in the song. He's going through a hard time and there seems to be a theme in most of his songs where he mentions a place. In this song it is the interstate. According Connor Metz with WNUR, Briston Maroney states, "Places are important to me. I spent a lot of time growing up alone in different places, so I got into routines of making places exciting in my mind, or just making memories, romanticizing states or cities or places I've never been." Which gives his lyrics a deeper meaning.  

Chords

There are 12 chords used in this song. Which seems like a lot of chords for one song but I don't think it is for this song. I believe if the song were more fast paced 12 chords would be too many but the pace of this song is just right for the amount of chords that are used. I believe the amount of chords used for this song is what categorizes it in the Indie Rock category. Indie rock music is known for the chord progression in guitars and that is where it caught my attention. 

Beat

In this song the underlying beat is kept by the percussion. It makes this song that much better. The wait of the percussion gives the song depth. Like a build up. It isn't until a minute into the song, they bring in the percussion, the beat. And according to Samantha Lamph from Memoir Mixtapes, thats what caught Brianna attention too. Here's the statement made by Brianna, "The guitar picks up and the thump of the drums nearly bring me back to myself."

Vocals

Briston Maroney's vocals are amazing in the song. His voice is unique and you can just hear his heart and soul in his singing. He sings with great meaning/depth. I like the way he draws out "wrong", the last word in his first verse. I also like the way he sings the last word, "deserve" in the chorus. He just shows a lot of passion in the way he sings. According to Rocka Magazine, "It is almost as if Maroney has to go inside himself and pull each word out of his core." Which further shows that I am not the only one who adores his passionate vocals.

Tempo

The tempo of this song is 144 beats per minute. Which is presto, meaning extremely fast. But for this song, the tempo of 144 beat per minute, it gives such a heartbeat tempo that it doesn't feel extremely fast. The tempo fits the song perfectly and make it what it is, which is Indie Rock.

Thank you

If you've made it this far into my music analysis, thank you for reading! I hope you enjoyed my take on the song. If you have any song suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Songs that are similar:

-June-Briston Maroney
-Didya Think-Arlie
-Maple Syrup-Backseat lovers

Works cited:

Comments

  1. I love the beat of the song! I agree with you when you said he expresses himself well while he is singing. I have never heard of him but hearing this song makes me want to listen to more of his music. I enjoyed listening to it and it made me feel like chillaxin.

    I think I can relate to him about freaking out when the pandemic first started. Not being myself either and being in fear for my family getting sick.

    I have cousins up in Unalakleet. I was excited when I read where you were from. Maggie and Lucy are my mom's first cousins. Christina and I are very close. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So awesome! I am with their Nephew. :) They are both married to my father in laws brothers. I live just right across from Lucy! I went to school with your daughter at Mt. Edgecumbe and then Laurel was my roommate! Small world!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jewel,
    It's my first time to listen to this song. I liked the timbre of the vocalist (Briston Maroney) and the electric guitar, bright and rich. To be honest, I got lost in the lyrics and the visuals accompanying the music. Is he talking about complexed feelings and struggles of love and fear for family relationship (calling father) or a romantic relationship? So, I googled on the full lyric and explored more on this song. I must let you know that your blog page is one of the reference links popped out! Exciting to know what we write is available to public! The full lyrics remind me of existentialism, deep thoughts and struggles as human beings. The lyrics are beautiful and poetic. For example, the second stanza goes like this:
    I’m sorry, I Haven’t been myself.
    Something’s got me down;
    What it is, I cannot tell.
    I won’t be satisfied
    With anything I’ve earned.
    Fear is just a part of love,
    And one thing I found
    Is love is what you deserve.
    (Source: https://excrcl.com/?p=1336)
    I was surprised to learn that the tempo is 144bpm, because it didn’t seem fast to me when listening. I agree with you it’s a heartbeat tempo (of newborn babies). It’s a unique piece and thanks for sharing!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My intro

Music Analysis #1 : Conversations in the Dark-John Legend